Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Glimpse of Sunday, June 3 & Building Update


Decisions, Decisions

     I don’t know how many decisions a person makes over their lifetime, but I can imagine it is in the tens of thousands. And that is if you just make 2 or 3 decisions a day. Most of the time we are probably making at least 2 or 3 an hour or even 2 or 3 a minute. The vast majority of our decisions are pretty insignificant. Should I have orange juice for breakfast or just coffee? Should I watch this TV show or that one? What should I wear today?
     We do, though, make some pretty weighty decisions with long-term consequences: Where shall I attend college and what should I major in? Should I marry this person and take that job? How many kids should we have? Of course, the most important question is, Do I want to become a follower of Jesus? We will ride that decision into eternity.
     Decisions shape us—even the small ones. Little decisions add up to become a habit, and habits shape not only our character, but also our future decisions.
     How do you make good decisions? How many times have you looked back at a decision you made and wish you knew then what you know now? I look back at one significant decision that led to at least three other significant ones. I was fortunate enough to go to almost any college I wanted to play football. I chose Stanford. While going to Stanford, I met Jim, a guy who worked with Campus Crusade for Christ and whose ministry interest was to focus on athletes. I got into a Bible study with Jim, was discipled by him, and that eventually led to going into the ministry, where I’ve been for the last 38 years.
     At Stanford, I met my wife, Nancy, a young co-ed from Chicago. I found someone I loved and married her, and four daughters later, we enjoying 36 years of marriage.
     And it just happened that the time I was at Stanford our football team rode the crest of a couple of great teams and ended up winning back-to-back games in the Rose Bowl. If I had gone to my second school choice, UCLA, I would never have played in any bowl games.
     Truly, we make our decisions and then our decisions make us. That one decision of which college to go to led to significant other decisions that would have resulted in a very different life if I had choose differently. Little did I know at that time how important that decision would be.
     The Bible is full of excellent guidelines for making decisions, and that is what we are going to be looking at in my sermon on Sunday. We will be wrapping up our series on “Living for the Highest Honor” from 1 Corinthians with this message from 10:23 – 11:1. If you have missed any of these messages, you can always listen to them at our website. Just go to http://trinitynh.org/418709.ihtml and you can choose any of them.

 The Building starts to get its “shoes”

As completion nears, the final pieces start to be added, which is the flooring. The kitchen is being tiled and the bathroom is being prepped for tile. Lights are still coming in—next week we should have most, if not all of them. Here are just a couple of pictures to enjoy.

The kitchen gets it's shoes.

Prepping the ladies bathroom for larger tiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment